I thought I’d begin by outlining a few of the ‘Predictions of 2014’ that have been correct thus far:
- 3D printing
- Branded Content
- Printable Instagram photos
- Oculus Rift
And those that haven’t…yet:
- Steam PCs
- Smart Watches
I might just write a blog post on why I think those flourishing, are doing so well. Stay tuned.
Digital News and Innovation
- The official Twitter tags for the World Cup are #WorldCup2014 #FIFAWorldCup. On this note, the Twitter world has spoken and the global predictions for first, second and third are Brazil (30%), Spain (21%) then Argentina (13%). Source – http://wearesocial.net/blog/2014/06/twitter-users-brazil-win-world-cup/
- Apple announced on their press site that they are set to by Beats for $3 Billion USD.
- iOS8 is going to introduce a similar quick texting mechanism similar to Samsung’s Swype.
- An interesting take on the failures of content marketing. It’s got some good takeaways if you make it through the cave man humour.
- Instagram ads have hit our feeds!
- Facebook released a statement explaining its decreasing organic reach. The gist of it is that because more and more content is being created and shared every day (a user could potentially be shown 1,500 stories daily). Further to this, they’re still on a mission to keep the News Feed relevant to the user – I don’t think they’ve cracked it yet…
- Tinder has added in ‘moments’. Oh dear… it’s got a snapchat feel. On that note, apparently 1 in 3 men are using snapchat for sexting. This is undoubtedly what will happen on the old Tinder. Don’t go getting ideas Tim.
- LinkedIn has launched new page design for paying members. Following in the footsteps of Facebook, Twitter, and Google+, LinkedIn’s new profiles feature cover photos, cleaner typography, and larger profile pictures (I think we can all learn how to look smug/sleazy from the example provide).
- Are we all using Instagram wrongly? This guy thinks so. He reckons we should unfollow your friends and follow your interests instead… could be good for brands!
- Australian Social Media Statistics for MAY `14. Top 3 based on active monthly users this month are:
- FB: 13,200,000 (same since April)
- YT: 12,750,000 (up 50k since April)
- WordPress: 6,200,000 (up 50k since April)
Cool campaigns I think are worth sharing:
- Lady Gaga has started her own social network – http://techcrunch.com/2014/06/10/build-your-own-social-network/
- Interactive vending machines are so hot right now.
- Vivid Light Festival: Cars that Feel Installation. Soap creative rigged up Toyota’s with sensors and projections from inside the car to create A.I. #carsthatfeel. I kind of find it a bit lame and am not sure what the ROI is on this one though… happy to hear your thoughts.