I attended a couple of things at Social Media Week yesterday and thought I’d share a few key takeaways from these.
Call it disruption. Call it revolution. Call it chaos Presented by Gavin Heaton
Gavin is a smaller statured man who definitely loves kittens and pandas and just wanted to reiterate very generally how useful Social can be for a brand…. His purpose on stage was to remind us that social media is really great because:
- Social media is changing our relationship with technology
- Having a purpose across channels means you speak to a network
- The key outtake was his PANDA theory: Purpose, Analytics, Networks, Digital, Art=
Panel: The Australian Media Landscape
An interesting selection of 2x data people, social media agency guy and a LinkedIn guy hosted by the dude who runs Reactive. Here are a few key takeaways:
- We should not be relying on stats from the US and UK because these habits are just not mirrored by Australian consumers. For example, peak Twitter usage time in AUS is from 9-10am on weekdays. We are the only country to record its highest usability during working hours.
- Furthermore, what trends on Instagram varies per city and even per suburb! According to The Works, in Sydney we love weird and funny shit whereas Melbourne is spot on brand loving food.
- They reminded us that “Australia is not behind the rest of the world but AU brands are behind AU consumers”.
- Apparently Snapchat isn’t just for sexting it actually is replacing traditional messaging in younger dempgraphics
- Why do Australians share content?
- Increase visibility (75%)
- Boost reputation (74%)
- LinkedIn Aus audience growth – 4mil 2013 to 6 mil members in 2014 +50% growth in just over 1 year